Membership terms and conditions
These are the terms and conditions on which we provide you with membership and access to our products, services, and venues. Please read these carefully before applying for your membership. Please also refer to our Venue Rules, which can be accessed at Venue Rules - Fife Sports and Leisure Trust (fifeleisure.org.uk/about-us/venue-rules)
‘We’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ means Fife Sports and Leisure Trust Limited, a company registered in Scotland with company number SC336004 and Scottish charity number SC039464. Registered office: Music Institute, East Port, Dunfermline, Fife, KY12 7JA.
What are the basics?
- Application: You must be 16 years or older to apply for a Membership. Add-on memberships are available to under 18’s and must apply with a parent or guardian.
- A joining fee will be payable on your Joining Date in addition to your membership fees. The amount of your joining fee is determined by your means of joining. This is specified to you during the membership application process. The joining fee will not be payable again as long as your membership remains current. If your membership ends for any reason and you later want to become a member again, a further joining fee (which may not be the same as the first joining fee) will apply. Current joining fees can be viewed on our memberships page at Membership - Fife Sports and Leisure Trust (fifeleisure.org.uk/membership)
- Memberships can include, but not limited to, use of the gym equipment and facilities; access to health suite facilities; access to the swimming pool; an optional welcome session; and access to an ongoing programme of fitness classes (as updated from time to time by the fitness team). A full list of activities available can be viewed on the memberships page at Membership - Fife Sports and Leisure Trust (fifeleisure.org.uk/membership)
- Timetables and public access are subject to venue programming and continuous review. A full timetable and public access times can be viewed on our website at https://www.fifeleisure.org.uk.
- You can book fitness classes 8 days in advance, depending on your Fitness Membership package. More information is available at our venues and online at Group Fitness - Fife Sports and Leisure Trust (fifeleisure.org.uk/group-fitness)
- You must give us at least two hours' notice to cancel a fitness class. You can do this by contacting the venue or through the online booking system. If you fail to do this, we may withdraw your right to book classes in advance.
- Repeated failure to check-in or attend, repeated last-minute cancellations, or making an excessive quantity of bookings, may result in booking privileges being withdrawn. If the fitness classes you book overlap, it is assumed the most recently booked class is the one you plan to attend, and others will be deleted .
- If you are not sure how to use any of the equipment, please speak to a member of staff. You should not exercise beyond your own abilities. If you know or are concerned that you have a medical condition which might interfere with you exercising safely before you use our equipment and facilities, you should get advice from a relevant medical professional and follow that advice [as detailed in our Health Commitment Statement].
- Where possible, we will give you at least one hour’s notice if we need to cancel, relocate, or change any fitness classes. We will not reduce your membership fee if we need to do this.
- We issue membership cards, free of charge when you join. However, your card will remain our property. If you lose your card or it is stolen, you can ask us to replace it. There is a fee for this service and this charge is subject to change. Our fees can be found at Membership - Fife Sports and Leisure Trust (fifeleisure.org.uk/membership)
- You agree to having your picture taken when we issue your membership card, on your first visit to the venue or on enrolment. This is to prevent unauthorised use of your membership and access to your information. It may be displayed briefly on a screen in a public space on admission to one of our venues.
- Your membership is only for you. You cannot transfer it or otherwise pass it on to anyone else. You must not lend your membership card to another person or allow anyone else to use it. Failure to comply with this may result in termination of membership.
- You must be 14 years old to use our gyms. Children that are 8 years old or younger must be accompanied by an adult in the swimming pools . Our swimming pool supervision ratios must be adhered to. Please see our Venue Rules for more details.
What is asked of me?
- You must present a valid ticket or membership card to access any membership activity. You may be asked to show this by a member of staff.
- You must swipe your membership card at all venues. You can do this at reception or kiosks.
- You must always adhere to the Venue Rules and etiquette signs. These are displayed in and around our venues, available online and from reception in our venues.
- For safety reasons, you are responsible for using all facilities correctly and agree to keep to the commitments set out in the Health Commitment Statement. A copy of the Health Commitment Statement is available in all our venues and on our website here www.fifeleisure.org.uk/healthcommittment.
What are my financial commitments?
- The membership package, membership category (standard, corporate wellness, concession, student, teen, junior and mini), monthly payment, joining fee (if applicable) and first instalment are set out under ‘membership type’ on your membership agreement.
- By signing the Direct Debit mandate, you are confirming that you are authorised to set up payments from the account.
- For any add-on membership applicants, a parent or guardian must complete the Direct Debit mandate.
- Direct debit payments are due on the 1st of every month. If your direct debit is unsuccessful, we will take reasonable steps to contact you to ask for alternative payment details.
- We may sometimes change our membership packages and prices. We will provide at least 14 days’ notice by letter or email of any price change. You have the right to cancel your membership by giving us 1 calendar months’ notice after we tell you about any price increase.
- Discounted rates will only apply if you meet the full eligibility criteria (please ask us for details). If you are entitled to a discount, the applicable rate will apply until such time as you no longer meet the eligibility criteria. For example, if you no longer meet an age requirement for a category of membership, we’ll automatically move you to the appropriate membership. You will be given at least 14 days’ notice, during which you can cancel your membership using the procedure below otherwise the change will be deemed to be accepted. If you fail to tell us about any changes to your circumstances that impact your eligibility for a category of membership, we may cancel your membership or seek the balance owed. Discounted memberships may require an eligibility check every 12 months.
- All our memberships are for specific age groups, so your price may automatically go up or down over time as you move to a different membership that is suitable for your age. We will give you at least 14 days’ notice of any price changes that apply to you.
- Promotional membership rates are only available to new members who applied for membership during promotional periods. If you cancel your membership, you will not be able to take advantage of any promotional rate or joining fee discount for 3 months.
- Member offers, events, benefits and competitions are available to members only.
- Monthly memberships will automatically continue on a rolling monthly basis unless you tell us you want to change, pause, or cancel your membership by following the steps below.
- Refunds for memberships will only be made under exceptional circumstances, at our discretion.
- Prices within our memberships will be reviewed frequently and any changes will be communicated to members with at least 14 days’ notice.
What if I want to change, pause, or cancel my membership?
- You have the right to cancel your membership within 14 days of joining (14-day cooling-off period). You will be given a refund; however, you will be charged for any usage within this period.
- You can change your membership package at any time. If doing this means that the price of your membership increases, the new price will apply straight away. If the change means that your membership price reduces, the reduction will take effect from the next full calendar month.
- You may be able to pause your membership for up to 6 months (fitness membership) if your circumstances change (for example, due to medical reasons or redundancy). The minimum period is 2 months. To do this you must send us proof of the change in your circumstances. If we agree, your membership will be paused from the end of the next full calendar month. You will be charged our current ‘paused’ fee and you will have no access to member facilities/benefits during this time.
- After the 14-day cooling-off period, you can only cancel your membership at the end of your minimum commitment period. You can tell us that you want to cancel before this by giving us one full calendar months’ notice, however your membership won’t expire until the end of your minimum commitment period. (More information on your minimum commitment can be found Membership - Fife Sports and Leisure Trust (fifeleisure.org.uk/membership)
- We do not provide refunds for unused memberships.
- You can cancel your membership after any commitment period by giving us one full calendar months’ notice. This can be done in writing via email to email@example.com. We will send you confirmation, using your chosen method of communication once we have processed your request to cancel your membership. It is your responsibility to keep your contact details up to date to make sure you receive our confirmation of cancellation.
Here is an example of how our notice period works
You give notice to cancel (or pause) your membership contract on any day after 1 April, but your full calendar months’ notice period will not start until 1 May and your membership will end (or be paused) on 31 May (your final payment will be for the month of May).
- If you cancel or pause your membership you will no longer have access to Member offers, events, benefits and competitions.
What else should I know?
- Our staff are not medically qualified, so if you have any doubts about your fitness or capability to exercise, we strongly recommend that you get advice from your doctor before taking part in any physical activity.
- Depending on your membership you may get access to all or a select number of venues, activities, and services. More information can be found Membership - Fife Sports and Leisure Trust (fifeleisure.org.uk/membership). For this reason, temporary closure of individual facilities (or part of individual facilities) for maintenance or large events won’t permit refunds. We will try to tell you beforehand, if possible, unless the issue is urgent or an emergency. We will try to make sure that any such closures are in off-peak hours and are kept to a minimum.
- We are not liable for any loss, damage, or theft of your property unless this is a result of our negligence or fault. We will follow our lost property procedure for any items found in our venues.
- We only accept liability for death or personal injury to the extent that it results from our negligence. Nothing in these terms and conditions is or is intended to limit or exclude our liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence of for fraud, fraudulent misrepresentation or any other liability to the extent to which it cannot be excluded by law.
- We do not and cannot accept any liability that you may suffer or incur arising out of, as a result of and/or in relation to acts, events and/or circumstances that are due to:
- your own fault;
- any third party, including but not limited to any other members and/or others unconnected with our provision of services under these terms and conditions; and/or
- events or circumstances which we could not have reasonably foreseen or prevented, taking all reasonable care.
- We reserve the right to reject an application for membership.
- We have the right to end your membership immediately if you seriously or repeatedly break any of our terms and conditions, Venue Rules, or any other written guidance. We will not refund your membership fee if we do this.
- We have the right to amend these terms and conditions, for example to reflect changes in laws or regulations or to make technical improvements. Where we make significant changes to the terms and conditions, we will tell you and explain why the change is needed.